|Garage Resale Program|
The intent of Section 18.62 is to assure that all parties to a transaction involving a sale of a residential building within the designated Parking Impacted Area in the city of Long Beach are furnished a report on the availability of legally required off-street parking spaces. Please refer to the Parking Impacted Area Map to determine if a property falls within the designated area.
If the property is not included in the Parking Impacted Area this program does not apply.
Please note: As of October 1, 2017 fees for Garage Inspections and a Garage Exemption Certificates has gone up. Please refer to our updated Garage Resale Program Fee Schedule.
Inspection of Required Off-Street Parking:
The inspection and Resale Report is required for all properties in the Parking Impacted Area that has or should have a traditional garage. The intent of the report is to help reduce violations on existing parcels of residential property and prevent future violations.
The Inspection will include a physical inspection of the garage to verify that it can be used for its original intent (off-street parking) as well as to look for life-safety concerns. In some instances, the inspection may find dangerous conditions and require specific corrections to be made immediately and must be completed before the required Report can be generated. After an inspection has been approved, the Resale Report will be mailed to the address indicated on the application, noting any conditions that may need to be made. Any violations must be brought into compliance within 90 days of the date of the citation, or within 60 days of close of escrow, whatever comes first. The Resale Report will need to be signed by both parties then returned to the City of Long Beach.
To request an Inspection:
- Call the Code Enforcement Bureau at 562-570-6401 for an appointment.
- Complete an Application for Inspection of Required Off-Street Parking.
- Make a check payable to the City of Long Beach, for the amount indicated on the Garage Resale Program Fee Schedule.
- Provide the completed Application and check to the Inspector at the time of your appointment. Do NOT Mail or Hand Deliver applications or fees for this service.
Please note: A report can take up to 5 business days to process. Please schedule your appointment accoidungly.Re-Scheduling appointments must be made 24 hrs prior to the original appointment. Please note that failure to appear at the scheduled appointment time will result in the issuance of a "Re-inspection Fee" in the amount of $210.00.
Garage Exemption Certificates:
For properties in the Parking Impacted Area that fall into one of the following categories, an inspection is not necessary however, an Exemption Certificate is required.
Exemptions occur in the following cases:
- Condominiums, town homes, apartment buildings and similiar buildings whose parking is supplied completely by way of a common parking facility.
- The first sale of a residential building, which has never been occupied.
- A residential building whereby a review of the records indicates that no parking was ever provided at the site.
To request a Garage Exemption Certificate:
- Complete an Application for a Garage Exemption Certificate.
- Make a check payable City of Long Beach, for the amount indicated on the Garage Resale Program Fee Schedule.
- Mail the completed Application and check to City of Long Beach - Code Enforcement Bureau, Attn: Garage Resale Program, 100 W. Broadway, Suite 400, Long Beach, CA 90802.
Please note: The certificate may take up to 5 business days to process. Please submit your application accordingly.
Garage Resale Program Documents Available for download:
If you have any questions about this program, please contact:
Combination Building Inspector
100 W. Broadway, Suite 400, Long Beach, CA 90802
100 W, Broadway, Suite 400, Long Beach, CA 90802