333 West Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach CA 90802
Phone: (562) 570-LBDS (5237)
Fax: (562) 570-6753

1. What are approved construction hours?

Construction is permitted Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Note a federal holiday shall be considered a weekday.  To view the Long Beach Municipal Code (LBMC) for detailed information.

2. Is heating required in a dwelling unit?

Yes. The space must be able to be maintained at a room temperature of 70 degrees F. at a point 3 feet above the floor in all habitable areas.

3. Who should I contact to remove a tree on the sidewalk in front of my house?

Call Street Trees service at (562) 570-2770.

4. What is the maximum allowable fence height?

In most residential areas, fences are limited to 3' - 0" in height in the front yard, and 6' - 6" in side and rear yards.

The regulations may be found in
Title 21 Zoning Regulation of the Long Beach Municipal Code.

5. I want to purchase a condominium.  How do I find out if the building has been retrofitted and the exact floor area?

Information can be obtained from our Building Permit Records
page or from the 4th floor in City Hall.

6. How do I know if my house addition was legally built?

Information can be obtained from the
Building Permit Records
page or from the 4th floor in City Hall.

7. Are smoke detectors or seismic gas shut off valves required when I sell my house?

For smoke detector requirement, see Department’s PPI (Policies Procedures and Interpretations) document B02. Currently, the City does not have requirement for seismic gas shut-off valves.

8. How can I verify if my home is located in a flood zone?  If it is, what are the requirements?

To verify if your property is located in a flood zone, please see the City of Long Beach Flood Zone Map, or the FEMA Flood Zone Changes page for a specific property address. For all new buildings and major remodeling (altered more than 50% of the existing building) project located in a flood zone, an elevation certificate is required to be competed. For more information regarding the certificate and instruction, please see the FEMA National Flood Insurance Program: Evaluation Certificate and Instructions.

For more information, see: Flood Hazards.

9. Where can I obtain a copy of an existing approved construction document (i.e., plans) for a building on my property?  How much do I have to pay?

The rules and regulations governing the retention, inspection and duplication of approved construction documents can be found in Section 18.05.070 of the Long Beach Municipal Code. All construction documents that are not microfilmed pursuant to Section 18.05.070 of the Long Beach Municipal Code are discarded 1 year after the completion of the work covered therein. The department typically do not microfilm electrical, mechanical, or plumbing drawings. If a construction document has been microfilmed, an applicant can go to the Development Services Center and ask any Building Counter Staff for assistance in viewing or reproducing said construction documents. Refer to the department's Fee Schedule for the cost of reproducing construction documents.
For additional information, please refer to Information Bulletin BU-025 Maintenance and Reproduction of Plan.

10. What are the requirements for smoke detectors in residential buildings, i.e., single family dwelling, duplex, apartment, condo, etc.?

Section 907. of the 2007 California Building Code stipulate the requirements for when and where smoke alarms (i.e., smoke detectors) are required in residential occupancies. This section states as follows:

Single- or multiple-station smoke alarms shall be installed and maintained in Groups R-2, R-3, R-3.1, R-4 and I-1, regardless of occupant load at all of the following locations:

  1. On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.
  2. In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  3. In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.
  4. In enclosed common stiarwells of apartment complexes and other multiple-dwelling complexes.
  5. In a Group R-3.1 occupancy, in addition to the above, smoke alarms shall be provided throughout the habitable areas of the dwelling unit except kitchens.

For more information regarding description of occupancies (i.e., R-2, R-3, etc…), please refer to the Chapter 3 of the 2013 California Building Code.

11. Is the City of Long Beach or the State of California the "authority having jurisdiction" for the enforcement of construction code regulations in mobile home park?

Mobile home parks do not come under the authority of the City of Long Beach for the purpose of enforcement of construction code regulations. The State Department of Housing and Community Development is the authority having jurisdiction over mobile home parks, including all of the buildings within the park. Their phone number is (916) 445-4782. Information can also be obtained from their website at

12. Are there any code provisions requiring drowning prevention safety features for single-family residence swimming pools?

Yes. Health and Safety Code Sections 115920 through 115929, also known as the Swimming Pool Safety Act, and the 2007 California Building Code Section 3109.4.4 requires the installation of drowning prevention safety features. For more information, go to the state website for the actual code language: Health and Safety Code Section 115920-115929.

13. What is backflow?
Backflow is water flowing in the opposite direction from its normal flow.  When the direction of flow is changed or reversed, contamination and or pollutants can enter the City's drinking water supply.

14. What types of properties are required to install a backflow prevention device?
The following properties are required to install a backflow prevention device.  The installation of a backflow device shall be approved by Long Beach Water Department (1800 E. Wardlow Road, Long Beach, CA 90807, 562-570-2419)

1.  Metal plating, cleaning, processing or fabricating facilities
2.  Photo-processing facilities
3.  Laundries and dry cleaners
4.  Commercial car washes
5.  Greenhouses
6.  Hospitals, Clinics and Laboratories (including veterinary hospitals)
7.  Medical and Dental Offices
8.  Funeral Parlors
9.  Food processing plants and meat / fish packers
10.  Dye Plants
11.  Paper processors
12.  Auto Repair Shops
13.  Breweries
14.  Tanneries
15.  Exterminators
16.  Large residential dwellings with water boilers that use rust-inhibitors or other water treatment chemicals, (“treated water boilers”)
17.  Sewage treatment plants or handling facilities
18.  Premises with multiple water service lines;
19.  Premises with roof tanks and elevated storage lines
20.  Canneries
21.  Slaughterhouse / Live Poultry Processing Facilities
22.  Ice Manufacturing Facilities
23.  Printing Facilities
24.  Supermarkets
25.  Premises with large boilers or chemically treated boilers
26.  Warehouses (with toxic chemical storage)
27.  Premises with Commercial or Public Kitchens
28.  Premises with water cooled equipment or chillers
29.  Premises with Groundwater Wells
30.  Premises that Reuse or Recycle Water
31.  Shipyards and Marinas
32.  Schools and Colleges
33.  Food Preparation Facilities
34.  Nursing Homes
35.  Barber Shops & Beauty Salons
36.  Properties with in-ground irrigation sprinklers

15. When is pressure treated wood required by the 2013 California Building Code?

  1. House Siding
    Wood house siding less than 6 inches from the earth shall be pressure treated.  In places where there are horizontal masonry (brick, concrete, etc.) elements, the siding can be lowered, but still no less than 2 inches from those elements. (CBC 2304.11.2.6)
  2. Any Direct Contact with Earth
    Pressure treated lumber is required whenever it is embedded in, or in direct contact with, earth. (CBC 2304.11.4) 
  3. Basement Masonry Walls
    Pressure treated wood is required whenever framing lumber or furring strips are attached to exterior concrete or other exterior masonry walls below grade. (CBC 2304.11.2.3)
  4. Posts on Masonry
    Wood posts on masonry or concrete, and that concrete/masonry itself rests on the earth. then posts shall be pressure treated.

    Pressure treated wood is not required if an impervious moisture barrier and a 1-inch metal or masonry pedestal separate posts from the earth by a total of 6 inches in basements or weather-exposed locations. (CBC 2304.11.2.7)

Show all CategoriesBack