333 West Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach CA 90802
Phone: (562) 570-LBDS (5237)
Fax: (562) 570-6753
Plumbing Questions

1. Can polyethylene gas pipe be used for indoors or for encasement in concrete?
Polyethylene gas pipe is not approved for indoor use or for encasement in concrete.  Polyethylene gas piping is only approved for exterior underground installation and shall be installed with a corrosion-resistant tracer wire (not less than AWG 14) or tape that extends above grade at both ends.

2. When is a Plumbing Permit Required?

A plumbing permit is required when any plumbing, gas or drainage piping work or any fixture or water heating or treatment equipment is installed, altered, repaired, or replaced unless specifically exempted by the California Plumbing Code or by City Ordinance.


a) Stopping of leaks in drains, soil, waste or vent pipe.
b) Clearing of stoppages.
c) Repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures when such repairs do not involve replacement or rearrangement of pipes, valves, or fixtures.

Show all CategoriesBack