Saint Luke's Episcopal Church
View Map
SAINT LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
703 Atlantic Ave. (1917, 1934)

Architects: Winsor Soule, John Fredric Murphy

Contractor: C.T. McGrew

The first St. Luke's Episcopal Church built on this site was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake. Reverend Perry G.M. Austin was able to attract national support for rebuilding the church. The new building resembled the former one in its inspiration from medieval design. The 1934 building is a complex built around a courtyard, using English Tudor Revival style. The roof is slate; the tower copper. The parish hall, compatible in design, dates from 1968.