Rancho Los Alamitos
View Map
RANCHO LOS ALAMITOS
6400 Bixby Hill Rd. (1806)

The Rancho was once the heart of a vast 300,000 Spanish land grant. The Mexican adobe ranch house, dating from approximately 1806, is one of the oldest in the State. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the site of the former Puvunga Village as well as for its historic significance reflecting many periods in California history, today it is a City-owned historic site consisting of 7.5 acres of which 4 are historic gardens. The complex of farm buildings plus the ranch house and gardens are now located inside a gated residential community. The site was donated to the City by the Bixby family in 1968. Operated by the nonprofit Rancho Los Alamitos Foundation in cooperation with the City, they have been implementing an acclaimed garden restoration project. Future goals include site and building restoration and development of an education center.