Long Beach Municipal Auditorium Mural

View Map

LONG BEACH MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM MURAL
3rd/Promenade (1936-38)

Artists: Stanton MacDonald-Wright, Henry Nord, and Albert Henry King

This mosaic originally adorned the facade of the Municipal Auditorium, built in 1931 at the foot of Long Beach Boulevard and demolished to construct the Terrace Theater. The mosaic, when completed in 1938, was the largest WPA mosaic artwork; it portrayed beach recreation in Long Beach. The artists who created the mosaic have designed their signatures into the border. The entire mosaic was removed in 1979 and relocated as a freestanding piece at the juncture of the Promenade and Long Beach Plaza in 1982.