First Christian Church

View Map

FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
440 Elm Ave. (1913)

Architect: Elmer Gray

Built in 1913 as the First Church of Christ Scientist, this monumental white Classical Revival church is one of the oldest surviving churches in the City. It was purchased by the congregation of the First Christian Church in 1989, which had lost its original historic church by eminent domain for the construction of Long Beach Plaza. They restored this building for their use, and reinstalled certain artifacts rescued from their original building.