No Image

View Map

DAWSON/PRAY HOUSE
4252 Country Club Dr. (1927)

Architect: Clarence Aldrich

Builder: William "Billy" Babb

An English Tudor Revival mansion constructed in 1927 by William E. Babb, a local businessman who reaped a fortune from the oil strike on Signal Hill. The house was purchased in 1929 by Russell Pray, a successfual lawyer, for his French bride, Leonie. It epitomizes the ultimate in the English Tudor style, combining red brick with fake dark wood timbers and stucco, a gothic arched entryway, a cathedral ceiling with wood trusses in the living room, leaded glass casement windows and gabled dormers. A large rear addition constructed by new owners Vicki and Bill Dawson blends seamlessly into the original.